In a previous post I wrote how the morning routine gets my family and I out the door with little muss and fuss. This post is about the evening routines and I promise you, I would not have as smooth a morning with out it.
An evening routine can be seen as laying the groundwork for the next day.
I had to learn to be a morning person. It took awhile, and now I manage to get a lot of stuff crossed off my to-do list before 8 am. The secret to this productivity is my evening routine.
4 Benefits of an Evening Routine
1 An evening routine helps you get those things done between the time the kitchen is tidied after dinner to the time you go to bed.
2 By setting things up for the next morning during the evening you can drift on a sort of ‘auto pilot’ until you are fully awake.
3 You know ahead of time if there is anything that needs to be pulled out of the freezer or put into back packs and work bags that are out of the everyday norm.
4 It creates a routine that triggers your body into knowing it is time to go to sleep.
Sample Evening Routine
Here is an example of my Evening Routine. It works in conjunction with my morning routine:
- 7:30 pm – Check the calendar and my Home Story to see what’s up for the next day.
- Pull anything out of the freezer that needs to be thawed in the fridge for tomorrow’s meals.
- Get Chip into the tub or shower (depending on his mood).
- Sign school forms, gather any books, ready any lunch or field trip moneys, folders for work etc and add them to their respective bags.
- Pack lunches and set them in the fridge.
- Re-tidy the kitchen.
- Set the coffee maker for the morning.
- Set out clothes for the next day.
- Set out my morning toiletries.
- Gather up the daily load of laundry and set it by the wash machine.
- Run the dishwasher.
- Pick up any odds and ends.
- Clean up and get my pajamas on.
- Read with Chip and tuck him in.
- Spend some quiet time with Kernel.
- Hit the sack myself at 9:30.
How to Establish Your Evening Routines
The best way to establish your evening routine is to start with a morning routine. If you haven’t already done that you can find the steps in my post The Secret to a Successful Day? Establishing a Morning Routine.
Using your morning routine, discover what you can do the evening before to make your morning run smoothly.
Time how long each of these tasks take. This helps you determine the best time to start your evening routine.
This worksheet will help:
Remember not to jump into all your new tasks at once. Allow yourself the time to ease into your new routine, one task at a time, until it feels natural.
A Relaxing End to Another Productive Day
My favourite time of the evening is when I know everything has been done and I can just hang out with Kernel for some Us time. Even if all we do is watch the news, read or just cuddle quietly.
It brings the peace and relaxation that I need to wind down and get ready to start it all over again tomorrow.
This planner will help you to record your routines:
Do you have an evening routine? Does it help your mornings? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
Title – Photo Rack – cc0